[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 30 18:43:48 MDT 2009

Just for the record, Richard conflated (or at least combined) three
separate charges:

(1) that my brief overview of Harris near complete lack of scientific
backing was "irrelevant".
(2) that in doing so I had "weakened" my "case".
(3) and that this amounted to an "ad hominem" attack.

I also believe that he also meant, as so many people do these days, to
mean not just the literal, original definition of "ad hominem" but the
erroneous connotation that "ad hominem" is in and of itself a "logical
fallacy".

If all he meant to say was that I was arguing in the style that Socrates
invariably used whenever he discussed philosophy, then he certainly
failed to communicate that with any clarity.

Curt