[Buddha-l] Website of the Arya Sanghata Sutra

[DPD CDT] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Fri Jul 31 05:12:01 MDT 2009

Oops... I might have mixed up the salt-related sutta with another 'salty; sutra. Here is the actual one (just commentary though). From 'The Way to Buddhahood' (Venerable Yinshun) p.56: http://tinyurl.com/lzt8mn :

"The Yan Yu Jing (Sutra on the Salt Analogy) explains that if one commits an extremely evil action, it is only necessary that there be enough time to make amends. This is difficult to do if one is old or dying. According to the Amitayurdhyana Sutra (Sutra on the Contemplation of Amitayus Buddha), however, reciting Amita [Amitabha] Buddha's name helps alleviate the results of serious evil karma [due to Amitabha Buddha's great compassionate vows to share his bountiful merits with those who are mindful of him. As stated in the same sutra, as excerpted below, even beings who 'commit such evils as the five gravest offenses' can be born in Amitabha Buddha's Pureland if they practise accordingly.]

If one has enough determination - if one cultivates the body [action], practices the precepts, and develops the mind and wisdom - even extremely evil karma will bring only light or indeterminate retribution. This lessening of karmic retribution can be compared to throwing large amounts of salt into a wide river: doing so will not make the water salty. [Likewise, when we practice mindfulness of Amitabha Buddha well, we are connecting to the vast ocean of his merits (pure karma), which dilutes the effects of our evil karma and enables us to be born in his Pureland.] On the other hand, if one commits smaller offenses and does not know how to cultivate the body, practice the precepts, and develop wisdom, one will certainly get bitter results. This can be compared to puting a small quantity of salt into a small cup: the water will become bitterly salty.

That the results can change depending on one's actions is strong proof that karma is indeterminate. In the Dharma [teaching] of the Great Vehicle [Mahayana], karma is viewed as empty [of fixed characteristics due to changeability as exemplified by the above analogy of dilution], which means it can change and that one can repent serious offenses; this is what cultivating wisdom means. Therefore, one should not be discouraged by extremely evil karma [created]; one should repent deeply and practice the Buddha Dharma."