[Buddha-l] Website of the Arya Sanghata Sutra

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Fri Jul 31 10:25:07 MDT 2009

jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> writes

"_Now suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into the
River Ganges. What do you think? Would the water in the River
Ganges become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to
drink?" "No, lord. Why is that? There being a great mass of water
in the River Ganges, it would not become salty because of the
salt crystal or unfit to drink."

These quotes are interesting, but I don't think they are saying the same
thing as the sutra quoted earlier.

Here, there is non-meritorious and meritorious karma where the strongest
ripens. These karmas are carried in the mind-stream of one being. In the
sutra that was originally quoted, the merit of the Buddha was considered
to overcome the non-meritorious karma of another being. I don't find the
latter very convincing.

--
Metta
Mike Austin