[Buddha-l] Buddhism in groves of academe

Gary Gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:52:27 MST 2009

Someone has commissioned some writing from my pencil, for which I'd like to
open up some research matters to this group. My basic question is as to the
quantity and quality of courses in academia (anywhere on the planet)
studying  studying* contemporary literature* influenced by Buddhism.  How
many classes might there be? 25?  150?  ¿200?  How much and what kind of
influence might they have?  (Abstruse? Marginal? Subliminal? Ineluctable?
Ambrosial?)

This topical spectrum would encompass the BuddhaDharma and ...  the American
Transcendentalists ... the Imagists, Fenollosa's* Chinese Written Character
as a Medium for Poetry, *Eliot's* Four Quartets, *Kenneth Rexroth* ... *the
Beats  and neoBeats ... Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Gary Snyder, Bob
Kaufman, Albert Saijo, Joanne Kyger, Anne Waldman, John Giorno ... Kenji
Mayazawa, Charles Johnson, Antler, Laurie Anderson, Leonard Cohen.
Bash*ô.*Is Natalie Goldberg's "wild mind writing" taught in college?
Widely?

— And, to contextualize all this, approximately how many classes are there
these days  in academia given to Buddhist studies, per se? The same as the
"buddhist literature" classes?  more?  200? 400?

What are some high points, as well as low?

Many thanks.

Palms Joined
_/|\_
Gary Gach