[Buddha-l] Useful for Enlightenment?

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 21:00:17 MST 2009

Andrew Scott wrote:
"Forgive me, but is any form of academic study of Buddhism of any use at all to people who want to become arahants? I am asking not to provoke but to find out what you all think. Thanks."
Hi, Andrew

We had this discussion about scholars-and-practioners back in 2007 and if I remember correctly, again in 2008.  Maybe you can save the archives to disk and then do a word search and keep the threads that interest you.  (If you can't find the threads for those discussions, contact me off-list--I think I might have saved some.)

The current issue of *Journal of Global Buddhism* has some interesting articles on this topic.  The issue itself is titled *Buddhists and Scholars of Buddhism: Blurred Distinctions in Contemporary Buddhist Studies.*  Franz Metcalf, a member of this list, is the Book Review Editor for the journal.

To download the articles in PDF, click on "print," then let the articles load before saving them.

http://www.globalbuddhism.org/toc.html

Best wishes,
Katherine Masis