[Buddha-l] Useful for Enlightenment?

Clough, Bradley Bradley.Clough at mso.umt.edu
Mon Mar 2 22:24:53 MST 2009

Sure, for example there are the three l?evels of wisdom that one must cultivate: 1) wisdom based on thinking (cinta-maya?-pan~n~a?)? 2) wisdom based on "what is heard" or learning (suta-maya?-pan~n~a?)? and 3) wisdom based on mental cultivation or meditation (bha?vana?-maya?-pan~n~a?).

If one wanted, the academic study of Buddhism could certainly contribute greatly to developing at least the first two kinds of wisdom.

Brad

Bradley Clough <bradley.clough at mso.umt.edu>
Assistant Professor of Asian Religions
The University of Montana