[Buddha-l] re. Useful for enlightenment?

Robert Ellis robertupeksa at talktalk.net
Tue Mar 3 01:57:45 MST 2009

Andrew Scott wrote:
>Forgive me, but is any form of academic study of Buddhism of any use at all to
people who want to become arahants? I am asking not to provoke but to find out
what you all think. Thanks.<

Is wanting to become an arahant of any use at all?in making?spiritual progress?

The academic study of Buddhism, or of other subjects, might well aid spiritual progress more than wanting to become an arahant! In brief, this would be because of the critical skills it develops and the widening of perspective beyond one's own tradition and its language.

Robert Ellis

website: www.moralobjectivity.net