[Buddha-l] Useful for Enlightenment?

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Tue Mar 3 11:38:02 MST 2009

Franz Metcalf wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Many thanks for the appreciation of the Journal of Global Buddhism.
> There's a saying common on the net that information wants to be free.
> This for two reasons. 1) It is so very easy to put up information in
> easily and freely copiable form. 2) Information, especially scholarly
> information, exists precisely to be expanded and applied; these
> actions can be achieved in direct proportion to the extent of that
> information's freedom. The JGB: freeing information since 2000. <http://www.globalbuddhism.org

I have made the decision to put everything I write out on the net for
free, excluding the few things left in the pipeline with paper
publishers. While I hate to see somebody put out of work, it *really*
irritates me to work w/ academic publishers these days. The writer
pretty much has to everything from camera-ready copy to making an index
and there is so little real copy-editing done that it is a joke (I know
that there are some delightful exceptions, e.g., the BDK folks). And
then, given tax rules and whatnot, the work is out of print in a year or
two. Tenure in the academy is the only feeble reason left for this
situation, and that is changing as more universities recognize the web
as a publishing venue.
> By contrast, I just had the discouraging experience of wanting to
> recommend a chapter I wrote some years ago to a teacher of an
> introduction to Buddhism course. But that chapter is not free. It is
> bound into the paper chains of a book that no one wants to buy. I
> *have* the pdf on my computer, but do not believe I can legally share
> it (certainly not with a class of students, anyway). They are left to
> the wilds of the internet and my information rots in its pulpy prison.

NO, you have an option: put stuff up on the web for your class behind a
password-access for students in the class only. It is (virtually) the
same as putting something on reserve in the library. At my school most
folks have moved from expensive course-packs of articles, etc. to
Blackboard, Moodle, or one of the other such systems that allow this
approach.

Jamie