[Buddha-l] Pure Land Buddhism

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Mon Mar 16 11:46:24 MDT 2009

Dear Randall,

First, apologies for listing you as having responded to Robert Ellis.
Of course it was this post I was thinking of, where you ask about Pure
Land reading. I am with you in seeing a remarkable resonance between
Buddhadhasa's ideas the those of contemporary Jodo Shinshu, especially
of the Higashi Honganji branch. Here is one source I know is easily
accessible to you:

http://www.livingdharma.org/Library.html

This page is part of the West Covina Buddhist Church (a Jodo Shinshu
temple in Southern California) website. Scroll down to the section
"Modern Shinshu: The Teachings of Kiyozawa, Akegarasu and Maida" and
you'll find some good entry level articles on contemporary Higashi
Honganji Pure Land thought. The next section, "The Tannisho: A Shin
Buddhist Classic" is also great. It contains the text (including the
excellent introduction by Professor Taitetsu Unno) of Shonin Shinran's
Tannisho. As that text is foundational to Japanese Pure Land--and is a
short and great read--I'd suggest you looking into it as well.

Cheers,

Franz