[Buddha-l] Re. scholarship and philosophy

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 19 14:51:12 MDT 2009

Robert Ellis wrote:

"my experience has been in the UK, where I found it impossible to pursue
a philosophical approach within Buddhist?Studies. It was also difficult
enough pursuing an approach inspired by Buddhist insights in Philosophy,
but at least I managed to do so to Ph.D. level."

Dear Robert,

I just wanted to mention the entirely anecdotal fact that I had a rather
different experience while studying for my BA and MA in Buddhist Studies
in the UK.

I'm not entirely surprised by what you say, but I'm not sure that we can
blame/credit our experiences on any general characteristic of the
academic study of Buddhism in the UK rather than the particular
situations or institutions we where in.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini