[Buddha-l] Eternalism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 30 22:26:22 MDT 2009

Some bozo wrote:

> Until you can find a reliable authority to set
> the record straight, the best bet is to take it as a primitive word
> rather than as something derived from component parts.

That's what I get for setting buddha-l to nomail and then trying to
catch up on discussions without reading every message that has been
posted for the past two months. I see that Ashok supplied a traditional
explanation of the nirukti of Vedic śaśvat. Like many a traditional
explanation, this one sounds a bit fishy to me, but nothing I have found
sounds any less fishy. Anyone for chowder?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy