[Buddha-l] ; sa; svat, Eternalism, best practical dictionary of Skt

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 31 07:41:01 MDT 2009

On 09/05/24 9:26 PM, "Richard Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

 > Ashok
 > supplied a traditional
explanation of the nirukti of Vedic śaśvat. Like many a
 > traditional
explanation, this one sounds a bit fishy to me, but nothing I have
 > found
sounds any less fishy.

From: Jayarava <jayarava at yahoo.com>. 31 Mar 2009.
 > I don't see how śaśīyas can be related to śaśvat. Though it
does suggest an adjective śaś meaning 'numerous', that is not in the
dictionaries. The suffix -īyas is added to adjectival stems to make
comparatives. Are you even allowed stems in -ś?

Just to avoid confusion in the future:
The explanation came from Mayrhofer, not from any traditional nirukti/
nirvacana source such as Yaaska's Nirukta. Secondly, in historical
linguistics it is permitted to postulate a basic stem. Such a stem may
not be attested in the surviving/accessible literature and hence not
find a place in the dictionaries. Thirdly, stems in ;s do exist in
Skt; e.g. di;s, vi;s (note their identity of form with the verbal
roots di;s 'to point to' and vi;s 'to enter').

By the way, most available Skt-Eng dictionaries suffer from
outdatedness, poor printing or poor paper (or all of these three).
Believe it or not, the language blessed with the best available
*practical* dictionary of Skt on all the indicated counts
(information, excellent paper, clear print), as far as I know, is
Catalan. Do buy a copy of (accents on some letters are omitted in the
following):
Oscar Pujol Riembau
Diccionari Sanscrit-Catala
Barcelona: Enciclopedia Catalana