[Buddha-l] More on Vietnamese Buddhism

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Dec 9 11:52:12 MST 2010

Many thanks to Professors Hori and Soucy for this current bibliography
on Buddhism in Vietnam. I am keeping it handy for my own reading.

It is an open secret that Vietnamese Buddhism is woefully understudied
in the academy. I recall Frank Reynolds at the University of Chicago
encouraging us grad students to consider choosing Vietnam as our
substantive speciality back in the late 80s and early 90s. I don't
believe anyone there followed his advice and it continues to be a wide-
open field. AFAIK, Cuong Nguyen is pretty much it in terms of the
broad sweep of Vietnamese Buddhism. This is particularly ironic given
the wonderful richness of the Buddhist tradition there (due to its
being on the geographical border of Theravada and Mahayana) and the
attention given to it by earlier scholars in the French school of
Buddhology. For example, Frank loved the work of Paul Mus who was in
Vietnam for years. But, now that I'm thinking of it, Mus, though *in*
Vietnam, did not really study Buddhism as manifested exactly there.
And, It seems to me, as Professor Soucy's work illustrates, that most
of the work now being done on Buddhism in Vietnam is not Buddhology
narrowly defined, but has a more historical, cultural, or even
anthropological focus. All these things are great--and they're really
more my kind of thing than straight ahead "Buddhology," but it would
be good to have more Nguyen's out there filling in the gaps.

Again, thanks for the bibliography,

Franz Metcalf