[Buddha-l] Om mani padme hum IN "Western Self, Asian Other"

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jan 2 10:10:19 MST 2010

Richard H. & Dan,

Why can't it be the "jewel of (belonging to, from the) the lotus"?  That trans. would accord with the oft-used metaphor, in various texts, of Buddhist insight arising out of samsara as the lotus rises from the mud. The jewel of course being the Buddha's message.
Has anyone ever asked any Tibetan monks what they think it means? Did Lopez ask any Tibetan
monks about this?
Aside from the philological issues of non-monk non-Tibetan scholars, seems to me that Tibetan scholarship on this deserves some attention. Dreyfus did a lot of translating and was accorded the title of Geshe--did he ever discover how Tibetan (presumably monk) scholars deconstruct this mantra? Did anyone???

Emically yours,
JK