[Buddha-l] "Western Self, Asian Other"

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jan 3 23:26:52 MST 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 11:21 AM, R B Basham wrote:

> On HTML, black symbols of uniform size on white background are directly
> functional. Infinite choices as to size, color, font, and images detract
> from content, regardless of how flattering, powerful, all sorts of
> 'desirables' for the composer.

Holy Java script, Batman! I forgot all about the grim prospects of messages coming in written on flowered "stationery" with text in Apple Marker Felt font set at 18 point in the color mauve. And some would not be able to resist dynamic emoticons that wink, blink, blush, eat, sleep, drink and wet. The technological age has provided us with alternatives to good prose and sound argumentation so numerous as to defy reckoning, and while I trust most buddha-l denizens to have the discipline to refrain from such aesthetic monstrosities as those you mention, there may be some who would assault and batter the rest of us with their eye-candy canes.

> So, though sweet innocents plead for
> HTML, I imagine (fear) abuse by the emotional, convinced types.

Your fear is contagious, Brother Richard. In my previous state of innocence, I failed to panic, but now that you remind me, I recall that there are still a few bad cyber-citizens even here on buddha-l. There are still contributors who commit such unconscionable breeches of conventional netiquette as to quote an entire long post in a message that contains nothing else but response such as "LOL" or "Hahahahaha." If the original long message were in HTML, it would already be as bulky as an elephant. If the response were "OMG" in blinking pink, accompanied by a 3D dynamic emoticon graphically depicting projectile vomiting, the resultant message would have as many bytes as there are grains of sand on the banks of the Mississippi. Perish the thought. You have convinced me that HTML could be the end of civilization as we know it here on buddha-l. I feel obligated to commit harakiri for even asking the quesion.

Chris Fynn, can you remind us of the mantra that translates "Oh Lord, don't let me commit seppuku again?"

The late Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico