[Buddha-l] Time to change religions?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 8 15:47:05 MST 2010

Op 8-1-2010 22:06, Richard Hayes schreef:
> "The Tiger Woods that emerges once the news value dies out of this scandal, the extent to which he can recover, it seems to me, depends on his faith. He’s said to be a Buddhist. I don’t think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. So my message to Tiger would be, 'Tiger, turn your faith---turn to the Christian faith, and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.'"
> http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/7/headlines#11
>
> What Brit Hume completely overlooks is that Christianity provides no practices effective at liberating people from playing golf. So my advice would be. "Tiger, remain a Buddhist. Only this time, try actually following the precepts. Then maybe in the next life you'll be reborn as a human being instead of a tiger."

Well, if you're doing a practice trying to bring your balls as close to
the hole as possible, you're in for complications. I remember Hegel's
piece about the real Christian compassion and the savage rage in the
Bhagavad Giita. Today we would say 'well, it's an opinion and it's a
free country'.
I think however that we Buddhists have an offer that Tiger cannot
refuse: rituals that can eliminate as much bad karma as grains of sand
on the banks of the Mississipi and tantrism: remaining respectable and
visualising loads of dakini's around, even merging with them on
occasion. And with his swing he'll be great with vajra and bell, perhaps
he could become a lama. There's a Chinese expression for 'so so' that is
'horse, horse, tiger, tiger' I'm sure that refers to mr. Woods relation
to the Tibetan Wind Horse.

erik