[Buddha-l] Haiti relief

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jan 16 06:17:29 MST 2010

Another group is Buddhist Global Relief, the "driving force" behind
which is Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, according to this post at the Shambhala
SunSpace (blog entry by Danny Fisher):
http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=14279

Here's a direct link to Buddhist Global Relief:
http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/main.html

And here is the whole original blog post by Danny Fisher:

Though he is perhaps best known for his English translations of huge
portions of the Pali canon—Wisdom Publications’ In the Buddha’s Words:
An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon is an especially popular
collection of his work—the Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi has emerged as an
important figure in the worldwide Engaged Buddhist movement. Among other
things, he is the driving force behind Buddhist Global Relief—a new,
visionary, Buddhist-inspired humanitarian organization contributing to
relief and justice efforts all over the world.

At this moment, Haiti is suffering the effects of an especially
devastating earthquake. Humanitarian organizations are mobilizing for
what President Obama called yesterday “one of the largest relief efforts
in history.” In a recent conversation I asked Bhikkhu Bodhi, “What is
Buddhist Global Relief doing to help? What can we do to help?”His
answer, after the jump. DCF: Regarding Haiti, what is Buddhist Global
Relief doing to help? What can we do to help?

Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi: Buddhist Global Relief has made a generous
contribution to support the relief efforts in Haiti. This was drawn from
our cumulative funds supplemented by donations from board members and
friends of BGR. However, we did not make a public effort to raise funds
for this emergency. The reason is that BGR itself does not operate in
Haiti and is not equipped to send over staff to provide assistance on
the ground. We also do not have partners in the country, and there is
not enough time to establish a working partnership according to the
usual processes. As a small organization, we had decided when we started
that we would initially concentrate on South Asia, and from there we
have branched into sub-Saharan Africa, but not yet to Latin America.

We have sent our contribution of about $15,000 to reputable aid
organizations already operating in the country: CARE, Oxfam, Doctors
Without Borders, Freedom from Hunger, Tzu Chi Foundation (Taiwanese
Buddhists), and Direct Relief International. We therefore suggest that
those of your readers who would like to donate for relief in Haiti do
likewise. They can also check out Google for Haiti relief operations. In
this way, their donations will be used most effectively.

Here are links to all of the organizations mentioned so that you can
look into them for yourself:

* Buddhist Global Relief
* CARE
* Oxfam International