[Buddha-l] Subject: the poignancy of Donald Lopez

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jan 18 08:30:46 MST 2010

On Jan 18, 2010, at 7:16 AM, J Whalen-Bridge wrote:

> Curt Steinmetz, your attack on Michael Jerryson’s book is
> unnecessarily nasty.

Just about everything Curt sends to buddha-l is unnecessarily nasty. But I think we should give him credit for trying to assimilate to the traditional culture of buddha-l. Things have been pretty tame here for the past few years, but buddha-l used to be a real cowboy shoot-em-up. It was mostly Lusthaus's fault, of course. He set the tone. Once in a blue moon I would get a little sardonic. Peavler would put his oar in from time to time with some witty Twainesque folksy sarcasm. Unfortunately, we've all become mellow in our old age, and things have become so civil that women and children can now read buddha-l without fear of losing their innocence.

Coyote