[Buddha-l] Subject: the poignancy of Donald Lopez

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jan 18 16:55:59 MST 2010

I am still unsure about just what sort of missionary zeal lies behind
Jerryson and Juergensmeyer efforts. They are certainly doing their best
to lend credence to the age-old Christian argument that "everyone else
does it".

Clearly what we are seeing here is an example of the modern phenomenon
of soft-core Christian apologetics, but this is is just as often engaged
in by Buddhists, UU's and even Pagans as it is by nice liberal
Protestants like Karen Armstrong. The rallying cry of these folks is
that it is unfair to single out Christians and Muslims for what they
have done, despite the fact that no one else has ever done anything
remotely similar.

Curt