[Buddha-l] Subject: the poignancy of Donald Lopez

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jan 18 18:44:15 MST 2010

Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> Curt might think that "anyone" interested in Tibet would know that HHDL's
> pacifism is aberrant and out of step with Tibetan history (right up to the
> present day) and rejected by many others in the hierarchy -- I would expect
> at least buddha-l readers are aware of that since this had been discussed
> here so often, but that's not the case.

I am well aware of the abysmal ignorance of many people (with and
without PhD's) with respect to "actual" Tibetan Buddhism. But the fact
still remains that anyone with any intellectual curiosity can easily
discover the truth of this matter, and neither the Dalai Lama nor any
other Tibetan teachers are involved in any kind of systematic
misrepresentation in this respect.

Curt