[Buddha-l] Subject: the poignancy of Donald Lopez

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 19 00:35:18 MST 2010

Richard wrote:

>Or read some books on the history of India and discover how Buddhists,
>Hindus and Jains persecuted each other in just about every period of
>history.

Persecution can mean a variety of things. Sticking to physicial "violence"
as the criterion, I am aware of Hindu and Buddhist episodes of violence, but
have so far not seen Jains implicated (except in some hot-headed speech, and
occasional factional outbreaks of misogyny). Do you have any actual episodes
of physical violence in mind attributed to Jains? They are my last hold-out
for a world religion that has successfully embodied ahimsa, not just in word
but in deed. Are you saying that's not so?

Dan