[Buddha-l] Religious violence, Buddhist violence

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 20 11:42:07 MST 2010

Interesting that you assume that only you do not make use of
ready-made critiques.
JK

 On Behalf Of Richard P. Hayes
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:10 AM

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 08:08 -0700, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> "The unexamined life is not worth living," as Socrates said at
his trial for heresy.

 Socrates .... did not give them a ready-made critique. That is
precisely what I advocate doing (and try to do in the classroom).
In the context of the issue under question, I am never going to
give my students a facile, ready-made critique of Aum Shinrikyo,
but I hope I am constantly giving them the tools they need to
reach their own conclusions by themselves, and I trust them to do
it.