[Buddha-l] The upaya express

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 22 14:37:29 MST 2010

This is currently making the Buddhist rounds on the net, because some PR is
being sought (current cycle started in Dec of last year, but wasn't picked
up by the major news outlets until mid January.

But this has been going on for awhile:

This has been going on for awhile.
BBC report from 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7148053.stm

and here are reports from 2008.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fg20080222nc.html
Read the blurb on VOWZ.

http://www.krayo.com/buddhist-monks-hit-the-bars/

Hey, everyone can test out the various search engines to see if we can find
additional and earlier online mentions.

The monk quoted is right about one thing. Buddhism in Japan is in crisis --
but these attempts, which have been going on for a few years now, aren't
helping.

Dan