[Buddha-l] The upaya express

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jan 22 18:12:47 MST 2010

> What wonders me is, what is happening to the incredible art
objects in
> those temples that closed? Have they entered the legal or
illegal
> antique markets by now???
> Anybody have some clues?
> One is tempted to envisage the Mappo as a huge, world-wide flea
market
> where ancient objects from world cultures are up for sale to
the
> highest bidders, while everybody else is starving or dying of
plagues.

Hard to say for all, but you are not far off. Many temples in
Japan are actually family/clan owned, or belonging to a specific
core community.
Sometimes when temples close, esp. valuable things are moved into
storage on someone's property, sometimes things are sold off (to
other temples if they can find one willing; or art collectors, or
some willing museum curator; or whomever). Different communities
handle it differently.

The auction is on. Get your bid in.
http://tinyurl.com/ybpknvf

Dan
Ah yes....I should have remembered this long tradition of
family/clan temples.
Wow--but how ancient? ...... the "details" give no information as
to provenance (where this bell came from or was cast) or age.

JK