[Buddha-l] Vinaya Texts trans/ed. by Oldenberg

buddhisti at aol.com buddhisti at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 15:16:29 MST 2010

All three baskets (sutra, vinaya, abhidharma) are supposed to be divulged and learn by everyone. How can we read the tripitaka without stumbling on them?
The misunderstanding about listening to (or reading) the vinaya, and listening to the formal vinaya recitation (including the confession) twice monthly, came from the rules of formal recitation itself (the latter) which insisted that people who have not received the precepts be removed from the audience.
During the Liturgy of Recitation of Bodhisattva Vows for laypeople, there's this portion:
<quote>
Question: Why has the Sangha gathered?
Answer: To recite the Bodhisattva precepts.
Question: Have those who have not taken the precepts and those who are not pure left this assembly?
Answer: In this assembly, there is no one who has not taken the precepts, and no one who is not pure. (If there are, they should be asked to leave and the monk in charge should say: "Those who have not received the precepts and those who are not pure have left.")
<end quote>
Reading, or listening to, only the vinaya, does not commit any infraction. In fact, many Chinese masters, including Hsuan Hua of the City of Ten Thousands Buddhas and Yen P'ei, encouraged laypeople to learn the precepts.
BTW, the Vinayas are online; anyone can have access:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=olbp34638

Chinese and Vietnamese translations are all over the net too.
Minh Quang