[Buddha-l] Buddhist extremists brutally attack Catholic church in Sri Lanka

Chris Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sat Jan 23 21:24:27 MST 2010

Katherine Masis wrote:

> This came out over a month ago.  Had anyone on Buddha-L seen this?
> Apologies for not knowing how to convert long url's into tiny ones!

> Katherine Masis
> ====================================

While this is appalling, of course the Catholic News Agency article
fails to reflect on the 16th C. Portuguese Catholic "extremists"
(followers of Jesus and St. Francis) who took over the island in the
name of their religion - Showing equal intolerance for Buddhism,
Hinduism and Islam alike. They however didn't hesitate to play these
groups off against each other in aid of their own cause. On all sides
tensions seem to have existed ever since.

This particular manifestation of violent intolerance seems to have
something to do with a several years old dispute over the construction
of a new Catholic Church nearby a Buddhist Monastery ~ The Sri Lankan
Supreme Court recently ruled that the construction of this church could
be completed.

At root I suspect this dispute probably as has much to do with property,
ethnic rivalry and power as it has to do with religion.

- Chris