[Buddha-l] Vinaya Texts trans/ed. by Oldenberg

Jampa Tsedroen JampaTsedroen at gmx.de
Tue Jan 26 02:01:52 MST 2010

Well, as it is the Tibetan tradition, you study the Vinaya after you
have been ordained, and by that time you may find out that some mistakes
already occured which you need to purify now. The major things to
observe you learn in preparation for ordination. But this is not
referred to as Vinaya studies, but preparation for ordination.

By the way: as far as I found out no such rule in the Pali Vinaya
exists. There is only a principle that when the Patimokkha is to be
recited, all qualified bhikkhus inside the sima (boundary) should be
sitting within forearm's length of one another, and no lay person should
be within forearm's length of the monks. However, lay people can even be
sitting in the recitation hall beyond the forearm's boundary while the
monks recite the Patimokkha.

It is said that in Sri Lanka there are lay people who study the entire
Tipitaka and some are very knowledgeable about the Vinaya. I heard that
in Sri Lanka at some universities lay women even teach monks Vinaya.
According to a dharmafriend it seems that at some point in Indian
Buddhist history, perhaps when the monks were not observing numbers of
minor rules, they  did not want the laity to know about them from fear
the lay people would criticize them for neglecting these rules.

In the Tibetan tradition for lay people it is not allowed to be inside
the hall, when bhikshus confess their misdeeds or when they recite the
pratimoksha sutra after having purified. It would cause doubts whether
the legal act (karma) were valid then.

Tibetan masters use to say that it would be unwholesome if lay people
study the Vinaya in order to search for mistakes in the discipline of
monks and to criticize them (nuns are also not allowed to criticize
them). Some Tibetan masters allow Western lay people to read parts of
the Vinaya by themselves and to ask them questions, if the motivation is
that they want to find out whether they can keep it.

However, some Tibetan nuns have studied up to 17-18 years the geshe and
khenpo curricula, but they were not allowed to study the whole Vinaya
and thus still have not obtained the geshe and khenpo titles. This is,
because they have not studied the same full curriculum, i.e. the full
Vinaya, which they could only do after being fully ordained. On top they
cannot criticize the monks for not granting them the respective titles,
what they would not do anyway, because they have a lot of respect for them.

Bhikshuni Jampa Tsedroen