[Buddha-l] Google as a research tool

Donna Bair-Mundy donnab at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 26 16:48:32 MST 2010

Aloha,
   My colleague, Dr. Peter Jacso, does extensive research on search
engines.  The figures that Google gives regarding Web pages found with
search terms are wildly inaccurate.  In one demo I saw him do he searched
two terms using the OR operator (additive) and then searched the same
terms using the AND operator (which selects only those sites with both
terms).  (You can force Google to use one or the other.)  The latter
search came up with a far larger number of hits--a number that did not
match the number of Web sites actually presented in the results.
   As you can imagine, the folks that promote the various search engines
are somewhat less than fond of anyone who actually tests their claims for
their products.

                    	Have a safe and joyful day,

 			donna Bair-Mundy
 			Instructor, LIS Program