[Buddha-l] updates and correctionsto"upayaexpress"(topic:Buddhism in contemporary Japan)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 27 23:35:49 MST 2010

> However, do some folks kill themselves because they are
> terminally ill [...]  How many of those suiciding are in stages of
> terminal illnesses, for example, or are suffering from serious
> mental illness? Other reasons?
> JK

Another huge, huge topic, Joanna. At the risk of (again) saying something
simplistic that requires much more detailed and nuanced discussion, just a
few basic points:

1. There are many "reasons" for suicide, and some small fraction may be
viewing it as an alternative to a hospice movement, but that would be a tiny
minority.

2. At the risk of stereotyping again, Japanese culture is deeply steeped in
suicidal tendencies and approval. I say that not to cast aspersions, but
because anyone who is not Japanese who has witnessed Japanese reactions to a
variety of things invariably is surprised and shocked at how quickly
Japanese presume the *proper* response to a certain problem or indiscretion
is suicide. For instance, when OJ took the ride in the white bronco,
Japanese almost universally were wondering Why doesn't he just commit
suicide? That's what he *should* do.

3. Japanese culture has romanticized suicide in many ways (Zen has some
complicity in that department). There are spots (e.g., certain trails on Mt.
Fuji) that are famous for couples to go out on and never return (Oh! how
romantic!).

4. A disturbing trend over the last couple decades has been teenage and 20
something suicides and suicide packs. There are alienated youths who live in
their parents' homes, spend all their time online and electronically
connected, while having no human flesh-and-blood-contact-friends.
Increasingly alienated and isolated, they make a pact with e-buddies of both
genres to meet (for the first time) somewhere and all commit suicide
together. This has been an increasing phenomenon.

5. Whereas Americans, .e.g., tend to believe "if at first you don't
succeed...", or blame their failures (angrily) on others, Japanese tend to
feel there is never a second chance, and the only way to atone for one's
failure is to apologize by taking one's life.

6. Anyone who has monitored Japanese films and lit. in the last two decades
knows that a strong nihilistic streak (often as a melancholy embrace of
meaninglessness, films ending in meaningless violent anarchy, etc.). It says
something about the mainstream culture and its hold on purposiveness.

7. The dramatic increase in suicides since the 90s is usually attributed to
economic factors -- people losing their jobs, have no future prospects,
debt, etc. The average Japanese suicide is 20-45, not suffering a terminal
illness, with a family, feeling s/he lacks necessary support.

8. Suicide in Japan is often a public act, not something done in private
with Dr Karvorkian (jumping in front of subways, e.g., which knocks the
trains off schedule for a minute or two. This became so frequent, and it is
such a disturbance to the Japanese psyche addicted to absolute punctuality,
that some train stations are poised to hand out "excuse notes" to people
who's trains had been delayed for a few minutes, that they could take to
work to show their boss to excuse their slight tardiness. You grab the note
on the way off the platform. If one is riding a train delayed in that
manner, the train will stop between stations, and an announcement saying:
"We apologize, but due to human error/accident, the train will be delayed a
few minutes. We deeply apologize." Everyone on the train knows what that
means.)

Those are some of the factors frequently mentioned. The cultural acceptance
of suicide, and the tacit encouragement to pursue that as a legitimate
option are huge factors in my opinion.

Dan