[Buddha-l] Brahma & Abraham

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 4 04:24:02 MST 2010

Shi'an,

Before you get too deeply into this silliness, consider the source:

Moisés y los Extraterrestres

The means "Moses and the Extraterrestials". The rest has about as much
credibility.

Abraham came from the city of Ur in Qasdim (anglicized as Chaldees), which
is in present day Iraq, not India.

The rest is one huge ahistorical mess. E.g., Melchi-zedek is not a Kashmiri
word (that language was not around 3500 years ago); it is ordinary Hebrew.
Melchi (from melekh = king) is 1st person possessive, so "My king". Tsedek
means righteousness. "Righteousness My King".

There was some conflationary confusion on the part of the Romans about the
Jews and Indians (gymnosophists) that Josephus is reporting (along with
numerous other theories), which shows that Artur's poetic imagination has a
long history. According to Clearchus of Soli (a student of Aristotle's, who
may have traveled to Afghanistan), the gymnosophists (i.e., Indian wise men
and yogis) were descended from the Magi, and the Jews from the gymnosophists
(the web page only quotes the second part, which is no longer extant in the
fragments attributed to Clearchus, but quoted by Josephus -- whose text has
been tampered with many times, esp. on issues such as this. That opinion was
unusual even back then. On Megasthenes see
http://tinyurl.com/yl6wo8y

That web page seems to operate on the principle that if you pile up enough
b.s., it will start to smell attractive. Some of the b.s has a long
pedigree, some is newly minted.

I would recommend researching (you can start with google) the various names,
etc. mentioned on that page.

Dan