[Buddha-l] Batchelor

[DPD CDT] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Mon Mar 15 19:06:36 MDT 2010

> I agree that the concept of a universal law or Natural Law based on a superstitious idea of Karma is a nonsense but - actions motivated by greed and hatred - lead to suffering. Cause and effect or, more Buddhistically - conditionality.

The Buddha devised a smart foolproof set of reasoning to prove that it's safer to believe in karma and rebirth than not. As found towards the end of the Kalama Sutta. Maybe someone should bring this to Batchelor's attention? Here it goes:

"When, Kalamas, this noble disciple has thus made his mind free of enmity, free of ill will, uncorrupted and pure, he has won Four Assurances in this very life.

"The First Assurance he has won is this: 'If there is another world, and if good and bad deeds bear fruit and yield results, it is possible that with the breakup of the body, after death, I shall arise in a good destination, in a heavenly world.'

"The Second Assurance he has won is this: 'If there is no other world, and if good and bad deeds do not bear fruit and yield results, still right here, in this very life, I live happily, free of enmity and ill will.'

"The Third Assurance he has won is this: 'Suppose evil befalls the evil-doer. Then, as I do not intend evil for anyone, how can suffering afflict me, one who does no evil deed?'

"The Fourth Assurance he has won is this: 'Suppose evil does not befall the evil-doer. Then right here, I see myself purified in both respects.' [because I do no evil, and because no evil (ie. suffering) will befall me]

- Kalama Sutta
- In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Shen Shi'an
www.moonpointer.com
www.TheDailyEnlightenment.com