[Buddha-l] Source of alleged quote

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Mar 16 17:55:51 MDT 2010

Years ago, a Buddhist monk told me what has become one of my favourite quotations attributed to the Buddha. Someone reportedly asked the Buddha for words of comfort to give someone who was ill. The Buddha reportedly replied "If you get sick, one of two things will happen. Either you'll get better or you'll get worse. If you get worse, one of two things will happen. Either you'll get better or you'll die."

The monk who told me says he heard it from Ajahn Chah. Does anyone know whether a passage like this occurs in a canonical text, or is it one of those things the Buddha surely would have said if he had thought of it?

Richard Hayes