[Buddha-l] Personality disorders

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Nov 26 11:17:01 MST 2010

Stefan et al.,

> I feel that my question with regard to
> a 'working self' is still unanswered.

Your question of the "working self" is still unanswered because
Buddhists have been failing to fully answer it for 2500 years! But
that's just because it's such a good question. One might say it is THE
question.

One (to me extremely appealing) alternative to the Engler pre-
self>>self>>no-self model is Joseph Bobrow's model that we are
constantly creating and losing our selves. We might think of it as
more a Mahayana model of the self where Engler's model is Theravada.
(Though I'm in print characterizing Engler's model as also a Hindu one
in some respects.) I've not read Bobrow's new book, but you can find a
bit of his model in his shorter writings. All his publications
including the book are listed here <http://deepstreams.org/joseph_bobrows_writings
 >.

Cheers,

Franz