[Buddha-l] What is direct experience?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Nov 30 11:15:03 MST 2010

Not sure if this might be 'an' example of direct experience, but
it strikes me that being in an accident is one example of knowing
minus intellectual overlay or activity/comment.
When I slipped on ice, fell and broke an arm, I instantly
knew/felt/experienced that I fell and was hurt, but I wasn't
"thinking about" it until immediately after it happened.
Joanna

Hello there,

I hope it's not too feeble to ask - what is direct experience,
knowing something without the intellect? I think I am used to
altered states of consciousness like seeing things that aren't
there or delusional conviction but I don't know that I can find
room for much more.

Thank you,

Luke