[Buddha-l] Stanford scholar Tenzin Tethong could be the next primeminister of Tibet

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 16:24:47 MDT 2011

> Joanna writes:
>
>> Tenzin Tethong is a scholar, not a cleric............strikes me as a
>> positive development.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why?
>Richard Hayes

Add a pinch of respect to go along with the cynicism (see verse below), and
maybe Joanna means something like the following, extracted from an essay by
Dominik Wujustyk, concerned about India, not Tibet, but relevant
nonetheless. Of course, Joanna can speak for herself if this misses what she
had in mind.

From:
http://tinyurl.com/3ofmtr2

NOTES ON TRADITIONAL SANSKRIT TEACHING
Dominik Wujastyk

Two fundamentally different types of education have always been consciously
distinguished in India: the "saastrika (scientific) and the vaidika
(scriptural). This essay is exclusively concerned with the former. This
resembles more closely our own patterns of education in Europe, in that the
pupil has to widerstand the material which the teacher gives him. There is a
great deal of rote learning too; much more than we are accustomed to in the
West these days. Nevertheless, the "sâstrika education embodies an
intellectual tradition of proposition, evidence, argument and conclusion
which is on a par with any such tradition elsewhere in the world.

In stark contrast to this is the vaidika system whereby young boys are
prepared to take up a position in society as religious functionaries. They
will have to recite Vedic hymns from memory for hours on end at religious
ceremonies. So they must learn these hymns by heart, or as the Sanskrit
idiom has it, 'get them in their throats (kanthii-kr)'! The language of the
hymns is difficult. It is full of archaic words, whose meanings are often
unclear. So the priests will usually have only the vaguest idea of what it
is that they are saying. More to the point, no one would ever think of
asking them.

All this is not to say that a vaidika man will not be fluently
conversational in Sanskrit; all those I met were. And, as mentioned, a
"saastrika man will have reams by heart. But this is the result of a cross
fertilisation of the methods which in themselves are essentially distinct.

The tradition itself sometimes jests on this distinction between vaidikas
and "saastrikas, as in the following verse which describes the cunning
dilettante:

A priest when with pandits
A pandit with priests;
When both are there neither,