[Buddha-l] A different type of Tibetan mystery

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 2 12:42:58 MST 2011

prev. sent no-message, accidentally.
My 2 cents:

First, illegal foreign exhange transactions go on constantly from
inside and outside India; often, it's the only way to avoid the
octopus bureaucracy, the bribe takers, etc. There is also the
indigenous *handi* trade--individuals doing banking via personal
networks and bringing money into or out of India. Goes on all the
time. India can't shut it down.

Second, I smell a rat, namely, the Karmapa's enemies --those
others who opposed his assuming the position of head Karamapa.
(Recall all the fury and internecine media warfare after he first
reached India!)

I'd need to see convincing evidence he's a spy before I'd go for
any of this BS.
So far there is zero evidence.

Maybe he screwed up choosing his brokers re: his land purchase--
we need to know more details about that.

Joanna

it all started with this event:

Reportedly a Dharamsala-based businessman is being questioned
after Rs10 million (US$217,800) was found in his possession.[One
account I read said that some govt officials saw him moving out
of the K.'s residence with a big suitcase. Instant suspicion.] An
official said the money was a payment made by the Karmapa's trust
to buy land near Dharamsala. However, even if the money came from
followers, there are questions whether the foreign currency
violates India's foreign currency laws.