[Buddha-l] A new kind of lion's roar

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 15 01:34:45 MST 2011

Op 15-02-11 06:06, JKirkpatrick schreef:
> And a new goddess for Indian Dalits: Angrezi Devi Maiyaa.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12355740
>
> "...Labourer Sarvesh Kumar says Dalits were never respected and
> "whatever little we have gained is because of the efforts of Dr
> Bhimrao Ambedkar" [Dalit thinker and the architect of the Indian
> constitution][and convert to Buddhism. JK]
>
> "Ambedkar said English was the milk of a lioness, he said only
> those who drink it will roar," Chandra Bhan Prasad says."
Interesting iconography.

/About two feet tall, the bronze statue of the goddess is modelled after
the Statue of Liberty./

This suggests that the US is an inspiration.

/"She holds a pen in her right hand which shows she is literate. She is
dressed well and sports a huge hat - it's a symbol of defiance that she
is rejecting the old traditional dress code./

This proves that she cannot be from the US.

/"In her left hand, she holds a book which is the constitution of India
which gave Dalits equal rights. She stands on top of a computer which
means we will use English to rise up the ladder and become free for ever."/

Here we have a deep insight in the factors that make a human being a
slave of his passions: politics and IT.

erik