[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jul 6 12:10:46 MDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:48 , Timothy Smith wrote:

> Once, on a deck at Green Gulch farm, I heard one of the senior monks tell a group of folks
> who were fretting over the redwood's  destruction, "Don't get too worked up about it, after all, the sun will
> burn out in few billion years."

I can see now that growing up with a geological father was a helpful preparation for becoming a Buddhist. He had a habit of putting every human concern into the context of what a flash in the pan the cenozoic era is, and what a minor event the formation of the planet earth is in the history of the Milky Way, and what a puny event the Milky Way is....well, you get the idea. It always worked to help me get over the inconvenience of my latest stubbed toe or failed romance.

Richard