[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

Richard Basham bshmr at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 08:48:38 MDT 2011

RH & Not-RH,

Seems to me the following bears repeating as it seems an admirable
aspiration and practice:

> Needless to say, I don't much care whether anyone agrees with me.
> Eschewing the version of triumphalism that I  eschew has not hindered
> me in any ways that I can recognize. What I mean by that is that I am
> pretty much exactly the sort of person I hoped I would be when I began
> developing a taste for a particular approach to life. If I am not the
> sort of person that others wish I were, then I invite them to make
> modest adjustments in their expectations.

Certainly living by that creed is less conflict-prone and less suffering
than those grasping at bodhisattva-hood by insisting others perform.
<g>

As for myself, I struggle almost daily (too often) it seems, even
screaming at objects that fall to the floor and scurry to hide among
'dust bunnies' beyond my unaided reach. So many ignore my self-pleasing
fantasies of them. All I can do is remind myself to be aware and be
responsive as required, a challenging and humbling task at times.

Sometimes the suffering is more, sometimes less, with persons or peoples
<g>.

Buddhist introspection and perspective does seem to help.  Doesn't it
<g>?

Richard Basham

PS to Dan: I sent, to you, my entire supply of those
'de-confusion-de-conflation' pills , including the placebos last time.
Did you donate them to charity to gain merit instead <VBG>?