[Buddha-l] Buddhas Meditation

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jul 7 18:35:33 MDT 2011

Dan et al.,

Regarding the (im)moral view "eating meat with non-attachment is
preferable to being attached to vegetarianism," Dan wrote it was
humbug. Pretty nearly, I'd say. But not completely. Dan, you yourself
added that this view focuses on

> the suffering to be avoided is one's own discomfort...
> rather than the suffering that killing animals causes the
> animals.

Exactly. But I really *do* think that the state of mind of the person
engaging in actions which cause harm and suffering matters. As you
imply, there *can be* suffering there. Does this internal suffering
matter as much as the gross external suffering to the animal?
Absolutely not. To confuse the two is like confusing the moral roles
of the SS and the Jews in the Vernichtungslagern. People *do* this and
you are right to condemn this example of a like though vastly lesser
practice. And Buddhists in the 20th century did a great deal of it,
which, again, we must condemn--and you have. Still, one *can* strive
to reduce the internal suffering while one strives to reduce the
external suffering. I see these processes as potentially
interdependent. Too little time to explain, and a dicey path, but what
path worth walking isn't dicey?

Franz