[Buddha-l] Buddhas Meditation

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jul 9 21:41:40 MDT 2011

Speaking of unusual haunts, the description from the link reminds
me of when I was in Panjab for field work (1965-66), and saw a
Sikh villager slaughtering a chicken according to Sikh slaughter
laws (yes, they have such ritual rules too, although I don't know
if they are so fixated on them when living in western cities as
the Muslims and orthodox Jews seem to be).  His knife was too
dull, so he kept sawing back and forth as the chicken struggled.
It was horrible and I ran away. This was also a purloined
chicken, stolen by said villager from the untouchables in his
village, who raised chickens to amplify their meager resources.
The Jats (village elite) would not sink so low as to raise
chickens for their table.
My second encounter out of my usual haunts was when I was in
Dhaka, Bangladesh, doing fieldwork during one of many visits, in
1985. I was staying in a room with loo of an NGO guesthouse,
courtesy of a colleague whose husband worked for this NGO, and
the room hadn't been scheduled for a visiting overseas guest. I
was on the 2d story. Below me under my single window was the
house of the former Chief of Police of Calcutta, who had retired
to Dhaka. Every single morning I was treated to the screams of
half a dozen  chickens that were being slaughtered halal, for the
daily food supply of his household. Somehow I found another place
to stay--it was just too much.  I wondered how anyone could get
used to it.

Full disclosure: I am a carnivore. But when in South or SE Asia,
I become a veggie. (I wasn't solo that time in Panjab--his
lordship had been complaining about nothing but daal-bhaat or
sabzi, and needed to eat meat. Thus, the villager and the chicken
slaughter.)

Joanna