[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 06:48:14 MDT 2011

Brief added note to Lance's comments.

The Āgamas preserved in Chinese also confirm that Aṅgulimāla was a Brāhmaṇa
(see passage from Chuyao jing, below), but some give him a different 'birth
name,' which at least one claims he recovered after conversion.

Marcus Bingenheimer's _Studies in Āgama Literature: With Special Reference
to the Shorter Chinese Saṃyuktāgama_, Dharma Drum College Special Series,
Taiwan: Shin Wen Feng Print Co., 2011, p. 90 n. 76 (footnote to his annoted
translation of "The Conversion of Aṅgulimāla" in the BZA [Bieyi za ahan jing
別譯雜阿含經 T.100], reads [translations in sq. brackets added by me]:

--
According to some accounts, Aṅgulimāla's birth name was Ahiṃsaka (One who
does not Harm). Here the BZA uses Ahiṃsaka as his Dhamma name implying, lie

Dan