[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jul 10 11:17:40 MDT 2011

Interesting.
But since the Chinese also have traditions of satire, humor and
folly, why would Chinese monks be any more gullible than Indian
ones?
Then, we have the Japanese custom of slow poisoning ending up
with a pre-embalmed zen master corpse, although their literature
also includes humor and satire.
As does Indian literature.
Maybe it would help if we had the Chinese version of the leper's
finger story. Did it get passed on into China, as did
Angulimala's story? Were there any commentaries about this?

Joanna
--------------------------

Wise words at last. I remember a year or so ago there was a
review on this list of a book about Buddhist self mutilation in
China. Many Asian monks took the Jataka about  the Bodhisattva
offering himself as food for a hungry tigress as a prescription,
while Indian readers never failed to see it as a hyperbole. Apart
from the proverbial lack of hygiene in Indian cooking,
conspicuous using of fingers in table manners and the typical
monkish boasting and attachment to rules, the same appears to be
the case here. I would not be surprised if Chinese monks hired
leprose to throw their fingers in the mifang so they could eat
themselves closer to Buddhahood.

erik

Op 10-07-11 04:43, Katherine Masis schreef:
> Hi, Artur
>
> I sometimes wonder whether we're taking the old texts way too
seriously.  Could some clowning monk have written this in jest?