[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 12 21:41:56 MDT 2011

Thanks for the links. Any references to texts in Sanskrit? As I think you know, I don't read Chinese or Tibetan.

In my response to the query about prohibitions, I was careful to specify that I was speaking about Buddhism outside the vinaya. There is nothing about ethics in the vinaya. It's nothing but rules that one must adhere to if one expects to get alms in fifth century BCE India. I'd be more interested in an abhidharma texts or a sūtra. It looks like an interesting distinction, sort of like a distinction between something that one finds repugnant because it is toxic—people gag when they smell rotten food to prevent them from eating something that could kill them—and something that one has been taught to find repugnant through religious indoctrination. But it would help to see some context for the expressions.

>> Just to be 100% accurate, it's accuracy that I take seriously, not
>> "accuracy".
>
> Can I quote you on that? In quotes?

Yes, of course.  Just remember to use single quotes inside the double quotes.

Richard