[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jul 13 16:35:17 MDT 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 14:25 , andy wrote:

> Perhaps I am being too foundationalist in my thinking about ethics, or too
> critical, and asking for a ground is futile.  But to think there are two
> different rationales for Buddhist sila strikes me as unsatisfactory, especially
> when we don't know what the first one is.

Well said.

> So Richard, in regard to your project, are you not going to include the other
> main ethical theory, deontology?

I am the only person I can find who has suggested that one might regard Buddhist ethics as having a deontological dimension. People who write about Buddhist ethics seem to be agreed that whatever else one might think about Buddhist ethics, it is CLEARLY not deontological. So I guess a deontologist kant be a Buddhist.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM