No subject

Thu Jul 14 11:49:22 MDT 2011

...he and his colleagues have built a reputation for successfully
bringing Buddhist practices into juvenile detention centers - a
sign of the social activism that young Buddhists tie to their
meditation practice.
	JK: Why is this bad? or why should this kind of practice
be rejected by anyone?

"What attracts people is relevance," he said. "Youth is
suffering. These are prime suffering years, but I need it in my
language."
	JK: He's so right. Youth is probably the most suffering
time of any life because youth has meager defenses.

Weik said he understood the concerns about the future of
Buddhism, but he said the teachings have always had multiple
expressions in different cultures.
	JK: Well then why must the Weiks wear the traditional
Japanese robes which will create certain understandings and
misunderstandings among the youth they wish to attract!

The article also says most western Buddhists are white.
Statistically maybe so--but it should also have noted the
widespread across the country campaigns to get Buddhist
meditation into prisons, where the majority are not white.
Joanna

As a purveyor of what some disparagingly call Buddhism-lite
(Buddhism without rebirth) and non-commital Buddhism (which
replaces the Four Noble Truths with Some Pretty-good Working
Hypotheses, and the ten precepts with the tentative suggestions),
I found the following item mildly interesting.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/generational-108402-shift
-american.html

Richard