[Buddha-l] Abhidharma vindicated once again

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Mar 4 23:16:03 MST 2011

You overlooked my sarcasm on swamis:
"Ah yes-------- just another swami maneuver. "

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Lusthaus
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 8:38 PM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Abhidharma vindicated once again

> But how do we know that someone in nirodha-s. has stopped or
can stop
> their heart rate?
> There were no ways to measure that in ancient days.
> JK

You're right, we don't know. We just have what the texts tell us.
That holds not just for nirodha-samapatti, but for Buddha's
entire career.

As for the "swami," be honest and tell us which of the following
scenarios seem more likely?

(1) A swami buried underground raised his heart rate to such a
high extent that it "appeared" to not be beating at all, and at
12 different points on his body neither his heart rate nor
galvanic skin responses (read up on eKg machines, called ECG in
the article), etc., only to magically restart on schedule just
before the spot is reopened. It restarts not slowly, building to
a higher rate, but starts at a high rate and then lowers.

(2) Our friendly swami either disconnected all the attachments --
or, if they were transmitting by radio waves, he simply moved out
of range -- resulting in no signal being sent to the receivers.
When it was time to put in an appearance, he got back into
position, moving back into range so the signal again was picked
up. Having to crawl through his hidden tunnel required exertion,
and with less than normal air, his heart rate shot up (in both
directions, but esp. during the exit, which would have been more
labor intensive than returning to his place).

Mmm?

Dan