[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 15:14:43 MST 2011

Stefan asks:

> I think the very allowance to believe whatever you wish is the cause of so
> much misery. On what premise is someone allowed to belief whatever they
> wish? Do you have a right to hold erroneous beliefs? What kind of right is
> this? A legal right? A moral right?

Very important point.

There is a saying (variously attributed to Louis Brandeis, James R.
Schlesinger, or Daniel Patrick Moynihan:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to is
their own facts."

These days fewer and fewer people seem capable -- or even interested -- in
discerning the difference. Very little yatha-bhuta going around.

Dan