[Buddha-l] New Generation of Western Buddhists? (Dan Lusthaus)

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 15:24:24 MDT 2011

In a message dated 9/12/2011 4:10:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

You confuse me here Michael, the word 'Buddhist' used to mean: 'a
follower of the Buddha'. Maybe I was distracted for a moment and has the
word changed it's meaning without me being aware. So what is a Buddhist
these days? Being old school I am still so naïve to think that you
cannot be a Buddhist without taking refuge in the three jewels. But in
LA peoples minds are on roller skates.
==
The people I have met in the "new" Buddhist school take the 8-Fold  Path
very seriously. I would call them Buddhist. Many in the old school I have  met
don't follow the 8-Fold Path but depend on dana, rites and rituals or
reading books..

jack