[Buddha-l] New Generation of Western Buddhists? (Dan Lusthaus)

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Mon Sep 12 15:42:53 MDT 2011

Erik et al.,

> Being old school I am still so naïve to think that
> you cannot be a Buddhist without taking refuge in
> the three jewels. But in LA peoples minds are on
> roller skates.

Well, I don't believe my mind is on roller skates, precisely, but being an LA Buddhist I do have to admit I have not taken the refuges in an individual ritual before the eyes of any particular sangha. I've repeated the refuges many a time, but only in the context of sharing practice with other LA Buddhists. Not exactly a solid platform of institutional authority.

I've long wondered about this (lack of) status. It was only reading Stephen Batchelor's most recent book, _Confession of a Buddhist Atheist_ that finally reassured me I simply didn't need any status at all. I have no place in Buddhism and Buddhism has no place in me. There's just the way we flow together. Batchelor treats this is the movement from an illusory alaya to a real tthana. See <http://inwrdbound.tumblr.com/post/3155305557/an-excerpt-from-confession-of-a-buddhist-atheist-by>.

Cheers,

Franz